Thursday, June 10, 2010

Tales from Tetiaroa


We all know Brando felt truly at peace on his Tahitian atoll of Tetiaroa. But of all the stories MFB have heard about his exploits on the island, mostly from his autobiography Songs My Mother Taught Me, this strikes us as the cutest! The story recounts a visit to Tahiti by a girl and her mother in the 1980s and their subsequent meeting with the "round-chested" Brando:

"dressed in white: a gauzy, white shirt and white, Bermuda shorts and leather sandals. He wore a choker-necklace of white shells that stood out amidst the dark, curling hairs inside his shirt. I did not think that he could be an actor; but I liked his smile, and his deep, soft, whispery voice. His brown eyes smiled warmly when he looked at me, and he was enchanted by my mother. He sat with us for some time, laughing with Jack and making a reef around my mother, with one arm on the back of her chair and one arm on the table. This Marlon Brando bought me a Shirley Temple and stayed for dessert."

Classic Brando.





No comments:

Post a Comment